Monday 20 May 2013

Dinner with Tutu Sunday 19th May

Not strictly associated with my year as Master except that Archbishop Tutu now insists on calling me "Master" but delighted to accept his invitation to dinner at the Sofitel on Sunday.

Desmond Tutu is an old friend and I have known him since 1963 when he acted as Curate at my home church St Albans in Golders Green.   I babysat for his baby Mpho, now an ordained priest helping her father to run the Tutu Foundation. He and his wife Leah have stayed at our home in Kent and attended our 40th wedding anniversary celebrations - and I attended their 50th wedding anniversary and more recently his 80th birthday party celebrations in Joborg and CapeTown. One of my own roles is as a Patron and Founder Trustee of the Tutu Foundation UK providing help to disaffected communities under the word Ubuntu - we are only human together.


2013 Templeton Prize Winner Desmond Tutu and I enjoying dinner together
Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu has been awarded the 2013 Templeton Prize by the John Templeton Foundation and will receive a cheque for $1.3million at Guildhall on Tuesday afternoon, where I shall be present joining in the celebrations and congratulations afterwards.  On Wednesday we have a further lunch in the House of Lords.



No comments:

Post a Comment